Martyn Hilbert's Railway Photography

Home > BR Blues

Albums

IMG_0099_28Large29~0.jpg
307 files, last one added on Dec 10, 2015
1 albums on 1 page(s)

Random files - BR Blues

IMG_0100_28Custom29.jpg
08468 at Wigan Springs Branch Depot.3 viewsA heavily cannibalised, withdrawn Class 08, 08468 awaits its fate at Wigan Springs Branch Depot on the 28th February 1993. The locomotive had been built at Crewe in November 1958 numbered D3583. It was withdrawn after 30 years of service, in November 1988. 08468 was scrapped in 1995. The shunter was adjacent to a redundant former BR Standard 12Ton Ventilated Van, numbered as an Internal User, 024439. Its previous identity had been B775102.
IMG_0103_28Custom29.jpg
Class 08, 08626 at Allerton Depot.5 viewsWithdrawn and heavily cannibalised, 08626 was stabled in the sidings to the North of Allerton Depot in the suburbs South of Liverpool on the 26th March 1993. 08626 had been constructed at Derby Works in 1959 as D3793, and was allocated to Widnes Shed (8D) when new. After 28 years in traffic it was withdrawn in 1988 and scrapped here at Allerton by Coopers Metals in March 1994.
IMG_0165_28Custom29.jpg
Waterloo & City Line Class 487 Car S51 at Swindon Works.2 viewsA moment in time captured in Swindon Works famous A Shop on the 13th May 1985. All the parahernalia connected with the overhaul of Waterloo & City Line Class 487 Driving Car, Number S51 is on display in this view. With everything from reels of new cable to a tin of Swarfrega, the car is stripped down to virtually a bare shell. These cars had a nocturnal life spending their time on the 1.47 Mile underground line between Waterloo & Bank. The cars were built by English Electric at Preston in 1940.
IMG_0092_28Custom29~1.jpg
Class 37, 37132 at Worksop.6 viewsAllocated to Sheffield Tinsley Depot, Class 37 37132 was stabled between duties in the winter sunlight at Worksop on a freezing cold January 16th 1977. The loco was built at Vulcan Foundry in 1966 numbered D6832, it was renumbered to 37132 in 1973 and eventually became 37673. Withdrawn from service in 2000 after 37 years in traffic, the loco was not scrapped until 2008.

IMG_0020_28Custom29~1.jpg
50019 -'Ramillies' at Gloucester.3 viewsIn unrefurbished condition, Class 50 50019 -'Ramillies', stands at Gloucester with a Bristol to Birmingham New Street service on September 19th 1978. The mail is being loaded into the brake coach, complete with platform tractor, a sight now confined to the past.
IMG_0042_28Custom29~1.jpg
55018-'Crepello' arrives at York.3 viewsEvening at York on September 22nd 1979, as 55018 -'Crepello' reaches journeys end with a semi-fast working from Kings Cross. This is a vanished scene now totally transformed with electrification and simplification of the track layout. It is as far removed now, as the era of Gresley Pacifics was then. 55018 was named after the racehorse that won the St Ledger at Doncaster in 1957. The loco was new in November 1961 and almost survived until the end of ECML Deltic operation, being withdrawn in October 1981.
IMG_0050_28Custom29~3.jpg
Gloucester/Cravens Twin at Southport.3 viewsThe last operational asbestos free Cravens Class 105 (M53812) and Gloucester Class 100 (M53355) operating from Newton Heath Depot, were paired together as a twin set for their last few months in traffic. The unit was employed on the Steamport shuttle from Southport Station to the museum at the former locomotive depot at Derby Road on September 23rd 1984 during a joint BR/Steamport open day. The DMU was to be saved as part of the national collection but was vandalised beyond repair at Crewe whilst in store.
IMG_0007_28Custom29~3.jpg
Deltic Class 55, 55007-'Pinza' at Doncaster Works.4 viewsOn display at the hastily arranged mini open day at Doncaster Works on February 27th 1982 were all the surviving Deltics, on display for one last gathering. A work-stained 55007 looked as though someone had made a half hearted attempt at cleaning the yellow front. The loco had been named 'Pinza' after the racehorse that won the Epsom Derby and the King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes at Ascot in 1953.The loco was withdrawn from service in December 1981, completing over 20 years of ECML service.

Last additions - BR Blues

IMG_0099_28Large29~0.jpg
37013 at Farington Curve Junction.0 views37013 trundles along the Up Slow as it approaches Farington Curve Junction whilst working the Saturday only Blackpool North to Sheffield formed of Mark 1 stock on August 13th 1983. This was a time-honoured Summer service that ran out and back on a Saturday running via East Lancashire and Copy Pit.
Dec 10, 2015
IMG_0046_28Large29.jpg
08954 at Plymouth.2 viewsWith the roof tops of Plymouth as a backdrop, 08954 was shunting parcel and mail vans at Plymouth station on July 26th 1980. This was a time-honoured scene at all major stations - now sadly consigned to history. The 08 was new from Darington Works in October 1962 numbered D4184, its first home was at Ebbw Junction (86A) and it was tranferred to Laira (84A) in May 1971.Nov 07, 2015
IMG_0044_28Large29.jpg
47033 arrives at Dawlish.1 views47033 and its 6-coach train of Mark 1 coaches has emerged from Kennaway Tunnel and is running alongside a busy looking Marine Parade, as it arrives at Dawlish whilst working a Paignton to Exeter St Davids local stopping service on April 8th 1980.Nov 07, 2015
IMG_0053_28Large29.jpg
Class 45 45005 passes Dawlish Warren.2 viewsOn a rather overcast 8th April 1980, 45005 accelerates a lengthy NE/SW service made up of MkI stock on the Down through road at Dawlish Warren. With mechanical signalling and plenty of loco-hauled trains - Happy Days!Oct 02, 2015

IMG_0022_28Large29.jpg
Class 25, 25221 at Wigan Springs Branch.3 viewsWithdrawn Class 25 25221 pokes out from under Warrington Road bridge at the side of Wigan Springs Branch Depot on June 30th 1984. 25221 was originally D7571, built at Derby Works in 1963, it was withdrawn in January 1984 and after lanquishing for a while at Wigan, was scrapped at Swindon Works in 1986.Mar 08, 2015
IMG_0101_28Large29.jpg
08457 at Rugby.1 viewsOn a damp May 17th 1981, 08457 spends Sunday Afternoon sheltering in one of the bay platforms under the LNWR overall roof at Rugby.Mar 08, 2015
IMG_0002_28Large29.jpg
Class 40, 40082 at Northwich Depot.6 viewsOn a damp 9th September 1984, 40082 was stabled outside Northwich Depot between duties. The loco was new from Vulcan Foundry at Newton-Le-Willows in June 1960 as D282. Its first allocation was at York (50A). It spent 13 years as an Eastern Region machine before being transferred to the London Midland Region in 1973. 40082 was withdrawn from service due to power unit damage in November 1984 and was scrapped at Crewe Works in January 1986.
Mar 01, 2015
IMG_0138_28Custom29.jpg
Class 306 EMUs at Leicester (GC).2 viewsDating from 1949, former Liverpool St-Shenfield Class 306 EMUs, 055, 033, 083 & 078 wait at the entrance to Vic Berrys Scrapyard at Leicester on July 19th 1982. The location is adjacent to the former Great Central Main Line, that last saw a passenger train in 1969 when the DMU service between Rugby and Nottingham was withdrawn. Upperton Road bridge that once spanned the extensive trackwork at this location, was demolished in 2007 - yet another bit of the infrastructure of the old GC Main Line lost forever.Feb 13, 2015

Choose your language: