Martyn Hilbert's Railway Photography

Kodu > BR Blues

Albums

IMG_0099_28Large29~0.jpg
307 faili, viimane lisati: dets 10, 2015
1 albumit 1 lehel

Juhuslikud failid - BR Blues

IMG_0001_28800x53329~0.jpg
76001 at Torside.vaatamisi: 9Pioneer production series Class 76, 76001 passes Torside in the Longdendale Valley, as it climbs up towards Woodhead with a train of vacuum fitted 21Ton Coal Hoppers in August 1977. Built in 1950 at Gorton Works, numbered 26001, the locomotive was sent to Ilford for trials, before operating on the first electrified section of the Manchester-Sheffield line that was energised in 1952. 76001 was withdrawn from service in November 1980, Eight months before closure of the line in July 1981.
IMG_0100_28Custom29.jpg
08468 at Wigan Springs Branch Depot.vaatamisi: 3A heavily cannibalised, withdrawn Class 08, 08468 awaits its fate at Wigan Springs Branch Depot on the 28th February 1993. The locomotive had been built at Crewe in November 1958 numbered D3583. It was withdrawn after 30 years of service, in November 1988. 08468 was scrapped in 1995. The shunter was adjacent to a redundant former BR Standard 12Ton Ventilated Van, numbered as an Internal User, 024439. Its previous identity had been B775102.
IMG_0159_28Custom29.jpg
Class 40, 40013-'Andania' at Blackburn.vaatamisi: 3After being withdrawn from active service in October 1984, 40013 became a London Midland Region Exhibition Loco, and was towed to Open Days and Gala Days as required. Complete with some gaudy embellishments and carrying its name once more, the loco was stabled in the sidings adjacent to Blackburn Station on the evening of the 27th July 1985. The loco was eventually stored at Crewe in 1988 before passing into preservation. All of the buildings in the background in this view have since been demolished.
IMG_0083_28Custom29.jpg
Class 76, 76009 at Reddish Electric Depot.vaatamisi: 3With just five days to go before the Woodhead Route closed, it was business as normal at Reddish Electric Depot, on Sunday 12th July 1981. 76009 was stabled on the South side of the depot, Pantographs raised and powered up.
76009 emerged from Gorton Works as 26009 in March 1951, it lasted in traffic until the Woodhead Route closed, and was eventually scrapped in 1983.

IMG_0004_28Custom29~0.jpg
Southern Region Class 508s at Dorking.vaatamisi: 7Southern Region Class 508s, 508040 & 508034 were stabled at Dorking on Sunday May 23rd 1982. Within two years the units would be transferred North to join their Class 507 sister units working on Merseyrail.
At the time of this picture, the 508s were the most modern stock running on the Southern Region suburban network, having been built at BREL York in 1980.
IMG_0098_28Custom29~0.jpg
Cravens Class 105, M50784 at Blackburn.vaatamisi: 3With the former Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Station at Blackburn as a backdrop, Cravens 105, M50784 was in the West facing bay platform with a service to Manchester Victoria, via Bolton in September 1979. These distinctive power-twin units were associated with the ex LYR routes in Lancashire for nearly 30 years. Blackburn Station was the last of the large L&Y stations to remain intact with its overall roof and iron & glass canopies, all since replaced by modern structures in the name of progress.
IMG_0085_28Custom29~2.jpg
Class 25, 25188 at Horwich Works.vaatamisi: 325188 stands at the South end of the former Locomotive Erecting Shop at Horwich Works, during the Works Open Day on August 16th 1980. Alongside is stripped Mark 1 Restaurant First Open Coach, 1025. Stripping and conversion of Mark 1 Coaches for departmental use was one of the jobs that was keeping the works busy. To the right of the Erecting Shop, where the compressor was located, used to be the site of the small loco shed which was home to the 18" gauge locos used on the works internal system.
IMG_0024_28Custom29~8.jpg
37130 at Bamber Bridge.vaatamisi: 1In time-honoured fashion, Class 37 37130 digs in as it approaches Bamber Bridge with the Summer only Blackpool North to Sheffield working on May 29th 1982. This service had run out and back for many years and brought the welcome sight of an Eastern Region 37 or if you were lucky a 31, to the Lancashire Coast. 1982 was the last year of loco-haulage, in 1983 the service went over to DMU operation. The service did not operate in 1984, bringing to an end another chapter in BR Summer holiday traffic.

Viimased lisandused - BR Blues

IMG_0099_28Large29~0.jpg
37013 at Farington Curve Junction.vaatamisi: 037013 trundles along the Up Slow as it approaches Farington Curve Junction whilst working the Saturday only Blackpool North to Sheffield formed of Mark 1 stock on August 13th 1983. This was a time-honoured Summer service that ran out and back on a Saturday running via East Lancashire and Copy Pit.
dets 10, 2015
IMG_0046_28Large29.jpg
08954 at Plymouth.vaatamisi: 2With the roof tops of Plymouth as a backdrop, 08954 was shunting parcel and mail vans at Plymouth station on July 26th 1980. This was a time-honoured scene at all major stations - now sadly consigned to history. The 08 was new from Darington Works in October 1962 numbered D4184, its first home was at Ebbw Junction (86A) and it was tranferred to Laira (84A) in May 1971.nov 07, 2015
IMG_0044_28Large29.jpg
47033 arrives at Dawlish.vaatamisi: 147033 and its 6-coach train of Mark 1 coaches has emerged from Kennaway Tunnel and is running alongside a busy looking Marine Parade, as it arrives at Dawlish whilst working a Paignton to Exeter St Davids local stopping service on April 8th 1980.nov 07, 2015
IMG_0053_28Large29.jpg
Class 45 45005 passes Dawlish Warren.vaatamisi: 2On a rather overcast 8th April 1980, 45005 accelerates a lengthy NE/SW service made up of MkI stock on the Down through road at Dawlish Warren. With mechanical signalling and plenty of loco-hauled trains - Happy Days!okt 02, 2015

IMG_0022_28Large29.jpg
Class 25, 25221 at Wigan Springs Branch.vaatamisi: 3Withdrawn Class 25 25221 pokes out from under Warrington Road bridge at the side of Wigan Springs Branch Depot on June 30th 1984. 25221 was originally D7571, built at Derby Works in 1963, it was withdrawn in January 1984 and after lanquishing for a while at Wigan, was scrapped at Swindon Works in 1986.märts 08, 2015
IMG_0101_28Large29.jpg
08457 at Rugby.vaatamisi: 1On a damp May 17th 1981, 08457 spends Sunday Afternoon sheltering in one of the bay platforms under the LNWR overall roof at Rugby.märts 08, 2015
IMG_0002_28Large29.jpg
Class 40, 40082 at Northwich Depot.vaatamisi: 6On a damp 9th September 1984, 40082 was stabled outside Northwich Depot between duties. The loco was new from Vulcan Foundry at Newton-Le-Willows in June 1960 as D282. Its first allocation was at York (50A). It spent 13 years as an Eastern Region machine before being transferred to the London Midland Region in 1973. 40082 was withdrawn from service due to power unit damage in November 1984 and was scrapped at Crewe Works in January 1986.
märts 01, 2015
IMG_0138_28Custom29.jpg
Class 306 EMUs at Leicester (GC).vaatamisi: 2Dating from 1949, former Liverpool St-Shenfield Class 306 EMUs, 055, 033, 083 & 078 wait at the entrance to Vic Berrys Scrapyard at Leicester on July 19th 1982. The location is adjacent to the former Great Central Main Line, that last saw a passenger train in 1969 when the DMU service between Rugby and Nottingham was withdrawn. Upperton Road bridge that once spanned the extensive trackwork at this location, was demolished in 2007 - yet another bit of the infrastructure of the old GC Main Line lost forever.veebr 13, 2015

Vali keel: