Martyn Hilbert's Railway Photography

Home > BR Blues

Albums

IMG_0099_28Large29~0.jpg
307 files, last one added on Dec 10, 2015
1 albums on 1 page(s)

Random files - BR Blues

3-10-2010_011_28800x51929.jpg
97020 at Reading Depot.10 viewsThe former shunter at the Reading Signal Works was Ruston & Hornsby 88DS, number 97020. Made redundant by a class 06, transferred from Scotland, the 1957 built loco is seen at Reading Diesel Depot on the 15th November 1981.
5-27-2010_021_28800x51929.jpg
Class 40, 40148 at Manchester Victoria.7 viewsIn the Manchester Victoria of old, Class 40, 40148 awaits departure with a summer Saturday holiday train to Scarborough, formed of Mark 1 stock in August 1977. The well-worn station still retained its 1950s BR maroon running-in nameboards.
IMG_0025_28800x61229.jpg
03079 at Doncaster Works.5 viewsClass 03, 03079 has returned to its birthplace at Doncaster Works, for overhaul in October 1979. Built in 1960, the shunter had been allocated to North Eastern Region Depots and was a Gateshead machine when this picture was taken. Fame was still in the future for 03079, as in 1983 it migrated south to Eastleigh, before being transferred across the Solent to the Isle of Wight in April 1984. It was withdrawn from service in 1996, and was eventually preserved at the Derwent Valley Railway near York.
IMG_0004_28800x59529.jpg
Class 52, D1033 at Swindon Works.9 viewsClass 52, D1033-'Western Trooper' heads a row of withdrawn Westerns at Swindon Works in July 1977. Several of the locomotives had their cabs sheeted over to prevent water ingress and glass damage. D1033 was a product of Crewe Works and was built in 1964. The loco was not scrapped until 1979.

IMG_0083_28800x55529.jpg
Class 50, D444 at Crewe Works.5 viewsAn immaculate retro-look for D444 at the Crewe Works Open Day on the 17th August 1996. The locomotive was new from Vulcan Foundry at Newton-Le-Willows in November 1968, for use on accelerated WCML passenger trains North of Crewe. Renumbered 50044 in 1974 the loco was transferred to the Western Region, and was named 'Exeter' in 1978, and refurbished at Doncaster Works in 1982. It was withdrawn from active service in 1991.
IMG_0168_28Custom29.jpg
40013 passes Farington Junction.2 viewsWith the Leyland Truck & Bus Factory as a backdrop, Class 40 40013 hurries the 11-Coach F&W Railtours 'Cumbrian Whistler' past Farington Junction on the 6th October 1984. The tour had started at Plymouth and 40013 handled the leg from Birmingham New Street to Preston. The train eventually reached journeys end at Workington behind 40028. This was a real swansong for 40013 with a passenger working on the WCML as in days of old, the loco being withdrawn from service just 12 days after this image was recorded.
IMG_0086_28Custom29~0.jpg
08273 & 08304 at Horwich Works.3 views08273 & 08304 were stabled in the sidings at the North end of Horwich Works on August 16th 1980. There were four 08s being used as works shunters during this period. Both of these 08s were products of Derby Works, 08273 emerging as 13343 in April 1957, whilst 08304 followed in August 1957 as D3374. This loco was allocated to Lostock Hall Depot from October 1958 until May 1972. The BR standard 20 Ton brake van in this view, B954182 was stencilled - 'To work between Healey Mills & Whitley Bridge Only'.
IMG_0026_28Custom29~5.jpg
47535-'University of Leicester' passes Kirkham.2 viewsWith the new extension to the Fox's biscuit factory taking shape in the background, 47535 -'University of Leicester' departs from Kirkham with a Manchester Victoria to Blackpool North service on September 3rd 1988. This was the period when issues with unreliable new class 142s saw a return to some locomotive hauled services in the North West. In the foreground a short rake of departmental wagons include a Grampus, a 21 Ton Mineral Wagon, three 16 Ton Mineral Wagons and a Tube Wagon.

Last additions - BR Blues

IMG_0099_28Large29~0.jpg
37013 at Farington Curve Junction.0 views37013 trundles along the Up Slow as it approaches Farington Curve Junction whilst working the Saturday only Blackpool North to Sheffield formed of Mark 1 stock on August 13th 1983. This was a time-honoured Summer service that ran out and back on a Saturday running via East Lancashire and Copy Pit.
Dec 10, 2015
IMG_0046_28Large29.jpg
08954 at Plymouth.2 viewsWith the roof tops of Plymouth as a backdrop, 08954 was shunting parcel and mail vans at Plymouth station on July 26th 1980. This was a time-honoured scene at all major stations - now sadly consigned to history. The 08 was new from Darington Works in October 1962 numbered D4184, its first home was at Ebbw Junction (86A) and it was tranferred to Laira (84A) in May 1971.Nov 07, 2015
IMG_0044_28Large29.jpg
47033 arrives at Dawlish.1 views47033 and its 6-coach train of Mark 1 coaches has emerged from Kennaway Tunnel and is running alongside a busy looking Marine Parade, as it arrives at Dawlish whilst working a Paignton to Exeter St Davids local stopping service on April 8th 1980.Nov 07, 2015
IMG_0053_28Large29.jpg
Class 45 45005 passes Dawlish Warren.2 viewsOn a rather overcast 8th April 1980, 45005 accelerates a lengthy NE/SW service made up of MkI stock on the Down through road at Dawlish Warren. With mechanical signalling and plenty of loco-hauled trains - Happy Days!Oct 02, 2015

IMG_0022_28Large29.jpg
Class 25, 25221 at Wigan Springs Branch.3 viewsWithdrawn Class 25 25221 pokes out from under Warrington Road bridge at the side of Wigan Springs Branch Depot on June 30th 1984. 25221 was originally D7571, built at Derby Works in 1963, it was withdrawn in January 1984 and after lanquishing for a while at Wigan, was scrapped at Swindon Works in 1986.Mar 08, 2015
IMG_0101_28Large29.jpg
08457 at Rugby.1 viewsOn a damp May 17th 1981, 08457 spends Sunday Afternoon sheltering in one of the bay platforms under the LNWR overall roof at Rugby.Mar 08, 2015
IMG_0002_28Large29.jpg
Class 40, 40082 at Northwich Depot.6 viewsOn a damp 9th September 1984, 40082 was stabled outside Northwich Depot between duties. The loco was new from Vulcan Foundry at Newton-Le-Willows in June 1960 as D282. Its first allocation was at York (50A). It spent 13 years as an Eastern Region machine before being transferred to the London Midland Region in 1973. 40082 was withdrawn from service due to power unit damage in November 1984 and was scrapped at Crewe Works in January 1986.
Mar 01, 2015
IMG_0138_28Custom29.jpg
Class 306 EMUs at Leicester (GC).2 viewsDating from 1949, former Liverpool St-Shenfield Class 306 EMUs, 055, 033, 083 & 078 wait at the entrance to Vic Berrys Scrapyard at Leicester on July 19th 1982. The location is adjacent to the former Great Central Main Line, that last saw a passenger train in 1969 when the DMU service between Rugby and Nottingham was withdrawn. Upperton Road bridge that once spanned the extensive trackwork at this location, was demolished in 2007 - yet another bit of the infrastructure of the old GC Main Line lost forever.Feb 13, 2015

Choose your language: