Martyn Hilbert's Railway Photography

Home > BR Blues > BR Blues

IMG_0097_28Custom29~0.jpg
Class 122 Single Unit, W55003 arrives at Starcross.2 viewsBuilt by the Gloucester RC&W in 1958, Class 122 Single Unit, W55003 arrives at Starcross with an evening Paignton to Exeter St Davids all-stations service on May 29th 1989. The unit survives in preservation on the Gloucestershire & Warwickshire Railway.
IMG_0098_28Custom29.jpg
47191 at Wigan Springs Branch Depot.4 views'Sans Teeth, Sans Eyes, Sans Taste, Sans Everything' - (Shakespeare - 'All the Worlds a Stage').
Stripped down to a bare shell with bogies, 47191 was lanquishing at Wigan Springs Branch Depot on the 28th February 1993.
The loco emerged from the Brush Traction Works at Loughborough in April 1965 as D1841. It was withdrawn from active service in June 1987 and cannibalised for spare parts. The remains were scrapped by Gwent Demolition at Wigan in September 1993.
IMG_0098_28Custom29~0.jpg
Cravens Class 105, M50784 at Blackburn.3 viewsWith the former Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Station at Blackburn as a backdrop, Cravens 105, M50784 was in the West facing bay platform with a service to Manchester Victoria, via Bolton in September 1979. These distinctive power-twin units were associated with the ex LYR routes in Lancashire for nearly 30 years. Blackburn Station was the last of the large L&Y stations to remain intact with its overall roof and iron & glass canopies, all since replaced by modern structures in the name of progress.
IMG_0099_28Large29~0.jpg
37013 at Farington Curve Junction.0 views37013 trundles along the Up Slow as it approaches Farington Curve Junction whilst working the Saturday only Blackpool North to Sheffield formed of Mark 1 stock on August 13th 1983. This was a time-honoured Summer service that ran out and back on a Saturday running via East Lancashire and Copy Pit.

IMG_0100_28Custom29.jpg
08468 at Wigan Springs Branch Depot.3 viewsA heavily cannibalised, withdrawn Class 08, 08468 awaits its fate at Wigan Springs Branch Depot on the 28th February 1993. The locomotive had been built at Crewe in November 1958 numbered D3583. It was withdrawn after 30 years of service, in November 1988. 08468 was scrapped in 1995. The shunter was adjacent to a redundant former BR Standard 12Ton Ventilated Van, numbered as an Internal User, 024439. Its previous identity had been B775102.
IMG_0101_28Custom29.jpg
37012 & 37164 at Farington Curve Jct.4 views37012 & 37164 come off the East Lancashire Line at Farington Curve Junction, as they head Northbound onto the down slow line with the Clitheroe to Gunnie Clyde Cement working on August 21st 1987.
IMG_0101_28Large29.jpg
08457 at Rugby.1 viewsOn a damp May 17th 1981, 08457 spends Sunday Afternoon sheltering in one of the bay platforms under the LNWR overall roof at Rugby.
IMG_0103_28Custom29.jpg
Class 08, 08626 at Allerton Depot.5 viewsWithdrawn and heavily cannibalised, 08626 was stabled in the sidings to the North of Allerton Depot in the suburbs South of Liverpool on the 26th March 1993. 08626 had been constructed at Derby Works in 1959 as D3793, and was allocated to Widnes Shed (8D) when new. After 28 years in traffic it was withdrawn in 1988 and scrapped here at Allerton by Coopers Metals in March 1994.

IMG_0104_28Custom29~0.jpg
Class 108, 51919 stored at Blackpool North CS.4 viewsOn the 3rd April 1993, At the head of a rake of DMU cars, stored in the Carriage Sidings at Blackpool North was Class 108 Driving Car 51919. The DMUs were keeping company with surplus centre coaches from Class 305 EMUs, still sporting Network South East Livery.
IMG_0105_28Custom29~1.jpg
47551 at Poulton-Le-Fylde4 views47551 crosses over the junction with the line to Fleetwood as it approaches Poulton-Le-Fylde whilst working the Saturday Only Blackpool North to Glasgow Central service on June 17th 1989. The line to Fleetwood saw its last regular passenger service in 1970. The line was retained to serve the ICI works beyond Thornton-Cleveleys. Currently, the Poulton & Wyre Railway Society are aiming to have passenger trains running along the line once more.
IMG_0105_28Custom29~2.jpg
Class 40, 40121 at Farington Curve Junction.2 viewsWith various types of wagons loaded with fresh ballast, 40121 takes the East Lancashire route at Farington Curve Junction on May 18th 1978. The wagons are destined for the district civil engineers sidings at Brownedge on the approach to Bamber Bridge.
IMG_0107_28Custom29.jpg
Class 101 3-Car DMU at Dawlish.4 viewsA Metro-Cam Class 101 3-Car DMU, with 51219 leading, departs from Dawlish with an evening Exeter St Davids to Paignton all-stations service on the 31st May 1989.
307 files on 26 page(s)

Choose your language: