Martyn Hilbert's Railway Photography

Home

Most viewed

IMG_0009_28800x53829.jpg
Class 47, 47277 at Deepdale.9 viewsEmbellished with a silver roof, 47277 plods slowly along the former Longridge Branch at Deepdale with a train of loaded HEA wagons from Toton Yard on the 22nd June 1987. The train has just passed through the site of Deepdale Station, closed in 1930. In the background is the former Preston Royal Infirmary which closed its doors for the last time in 1981.
IMG_0022_28800x49529.jpg
Class 25, 25321 at Maudland on the Deepdale Coal.9 viewsClass 25, 25321 is about to cross over the span that bridged the drained section of Lancaster Canal at Maudland on May 3rd 1985. The loco is heading for Deepdale with loaded HEA coal hoppers on the former Longridge Branch. 25321 was the former D7671 and was the last locomotive built at Derby Works in 1967.
IMG_0002_28800x53729~0.jpg
EWS 60031 at Strand Road.9 viewsBack in the days when a Class 60 on the tank wagons to Preston Docks was a routine event, 60031 brings 6E32, heading for Lindsey Oil Refinery, over Strand Road Level Crossing on the 14th June 2006.
IMG_0024_28557x80029.jpg
Class 120 DMU at Salwick.9 viewsA Swindon built Class 120 DMU sweeps through Salwick Station whilst working a Manchester Victoria to Blackpool North Service in August 1983. Although the station buildings were demolished in the early 1970s, the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway platform canopy was retained, now sadly replaced by a small shelter.

IMG_0052_28800x53029.jpg
Class 502, M28352M at Hall Road.9 viewsA 3-car Class 502 with M28352M leading, approaches Hall Road whilst working from Southport to Liverpool Central in April 1979. A Class 507 is in the centre siding in the background.
IMG_0007_28800x48629.jpg
Class 76s at Woodhead.9 viewsA pair of unidentified Multiple Fitted Class 76s, Climb towards Woodhead Tunnel with an empty train of HAA coal hoppers in August 1977. The train is passing Woodhead Signalbox, dating from 1954, complete with the signalmans Honda 50 motorcycle at the bottom of the steps. The train will have come from Fiddlers Ferry Power Station over the now closed line from Warrington to Godley Junction, where the Tommies will have taken over from diesel traction.
IMG_0001_28800x53329~0.jpg
76001 at Torside.9 viewsPioneer production series Class 76, 76001 passes Torside in the Longdendale Valley, as it climbs up towards Woodhead with a train of vacuum fitted 21Ton Coal Hoppers in August 1977. Built in 1950 at Gorton Works, numbered 26001, the locomotive was sent to Ilford for trials, before operating on the first electrified section of the Manchester-Sheffield line that was energised in 1952. 76001 was withdrawn from service in November 1980, Eight months before closure of the line in July 1981.
IMG_0018_28800x53529.jpg
Class 87, 87014 at Farington Junction.9 viewsClass 87, 87014-'Knight of the Thistle', draws to a stand on the approach to Farington Junction on 12th October 1985, with a southbound ECS working on the Up Slow Line. All services were using the slow lines and being hand signalled through the area, due to re-modelling work taking place at Euxton Junction. The scene here is much changed, with the site of Lostock Hall Carriage Sidings above the train, now covered by a housing development.

IMG_0020_28800x55329.jpg
Class 45 45058 at Leyland.9 viewsA Tea-Time Liverpool Lime Street to Preston working, provided an out and back working for a variety of motive power that was spare in between turns at Liverpool. For a period during 1986, Class 45s off the TransPennine services were frequently used on this one service. Never a common sight previously in the Preston area, 45058 arrives at Leyland with the service to Preston on the 28 August 1986.
3-4-2010_028_28800x55429.jpg
47218 at Bowkers Siding Bamber Bridge.9 viewsOn the day that the newly installed siding and railfreight facility was officially opened at Bowkers, at Bamber Bridge, 47218 in ex-works Railfreight Distribution livery was waiting to enter the site. The loco was stood on the short spur leading from the East Lancashire Line to the terminal in Bowkers premises. Later that morning 47218 was named 'United Transport Europe' by the local MP. 20th July 1990.
3-6-2010_020_28800x51929.jpg
CO, CP & COP Stock at Birds Long Marston.9 viewsCars 53048, 54248 & 013184 have reached the end of the line as they await breaking at Birds Scrapyard at Long Marston on the 12th October 1981. The stock dated from the period 1937-1939.
IMG_0012_28800x53829~0.jpg
31276 on Farington Moss - Ormskirk Line.9 viewsA day out with Class 31, 31276-'Calder Hall Power Station' on the 3rd September 1989. The loco was working a scrap recovery train from Farington Curve Junction to Midge Hall. The train is seen here on Farington Moss with the remains of the former up line to Ormskirk having components recovered. The up line was taken out of use in 1983.
2634 files on 220 page(s)

Choose your language: